- Procaine penicillin G is small-spectrum penicillin with a bactericidal action against mainly Gram-positive bacteria (like Streptococci, Staphylococci, some Corynebacteria spp., Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, Clostridia spp., Bacillus anthracis) and Gram-negative cocci, Leptospira canicola, Campylobacter foetus and Actinomyces bovis.
- Dihydrostreptomycin, an aminoglycoside antibiotic, has bactericidal activity against mainly Gram-negative bacteria, like E. coli, Proteus vulgaris, Brucella spp., Salmonella spp., Shighella spp., Klebsiella spp., Pasteurella spp. and some Mycoplasmas.
- The combination acts additive and in some cases synergistic.
- Contains per ml: Procaine penicillin G 200 mg
- Dihydrostreptomycin Sulphate 250 mg
Do not administer to animals hypersensitive to penicillins, aminoglycosides and/or procaine. Do not administer to animals with an impaired renal function, disturbances of auditory or vestibular organs. Do not use in small herbivores like rabbits, chinchillas and guinea pigs, not for prolonged use in pregnant animals because of the risk of toxicity to the foetus.
Prolonged administration of high doses may result in renal, vestibular and/or auditory dysfunctions. Sometimes hypersensitivity reactions may occur.
INCOMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER DRUGS:
Penstrep 20/25 Inj. is incompatible with fast-acting bacteristatic antimicrobial drugs (e.g. tetracyclines, chloramphenicol, erythromycin, lincomycin) and with anaesthetics or other neuromuscular blocking agents (because of respiratory depression and apnoea).
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
For intramuscular injection. Shake well before use.
- General dose : 1 ml per 25 kg bodyweight daily, during 3 – 4 days.
In severe cases this dose may be doubled.
Meat : 10 days
Milk : 3 days
Store in a dry, dark place between 2 °C and 15 °C.
Keep medicine away from children.
100 ml multidose vial (48 vials per box).
Specification: PenStrep 20/25 (Injectable Penicillin + Dihydrostreptomycin for Livestock) 100ml