Characteristics of Platinum F1 Tomato Seed:
- Platinum F1 tomato variety has a high vigor and can withstand a lot of stress during the growing season. It is a very rugged tomato variety.
- Platinum F1 variety of tomato has a fast growing habit. First harvest from this variety can be as early as 60-70 days.
- The tomato fruit from this variety is medium in size and well accepted in the Nigerian market especially during the lean season.
- Platinum F1 tomato variety can set good fruits in very hot conditions. The heat set characteristic of this variety is good.
- This variety is tolerant and resistant to bacterial wilt, a disease that is prevalent in Nigeria especially the southern part of the country.
- Platinum F1 is resistant to tomato yellow leaf curl viral disease and other viral diseases prevalent in the dry season in Nigeria.
- This variety can grow well in humid conditions, thereby suitable for cultivation in southern Nigeria where farmers dread to grow tomatoes.
- This tomato variety has oval shape fruits.
We sell UC82B Tomato Seeds which have gone through an intensive breeding program to become one of the leading seed varieties for tomatoes.
- Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) belongs to the family Solanaceae and is one of the most widely eaten vegetables in the world.
- It can be eaten fresh or in multiple processed forms.
- The UC 82B tomato seeds germinate to produce high-quality tomato fruits which are the early determinant type with good keeping quality.
- In addition, the fruits are firm, reddish and somewhat square-shaped.
- In recent decades, consumption of tomatoes has been associated with the prevention of several diseases mainly due to the content of antioxidants including carotenes, ascorbic acid and phenolic compounds.
- Read on to discover more information about the product:
Tomato UC82B: Product features
- Variant: UC82B
- Features: early determinant type, firm, square-shaped, red fruit with good keeping quality.
- Planting season: dry and wet seasons
- Seed rate: 0.4-0.6 kg/ha
- Maturity days: 125
- Yield: 30-35 t/ha
- Germination: 7-14 days
- Sow depth: 0.5 to 1cm
Growing tomato seeds
Sprinkle the seed thinly onto good quality seed compost. Cover with 1.5mm of compost and water lightly with a watering can.
If you are growing a few plants…
- Sow two seeds into a 7.5cm pot. Keep the compost moist but be careful not to overwater as wet conditions can encourage “damping-off” disease and other mould problems.
- After germination, remove the smaller plant.
- Pot-on the tomato seedlings as soon as they are big enough to handle. Hold the plants by the leaves.
- Taking care not to touch the stems, transplant them into 7.5cm pots. Protect the plant from frost, cold winds, droughts, etc.
If you want to grow them outside…
- Make sure you dig in plenty of garden compost or manure just before planting, because tomatoes are hungry plants!
- Plant tomatoes about 45cm apart leaving 75cm between the rows.